Click here to read "Some Thoughts on Happiness" - Shani's letter to her children, which was read at her levaya.

Click here for information on how to give tzedakah in Shani's memory.

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Shani was Sunshine (by Estee Lichter)

To me, Shani was sunshine. 

I brought her cookies a few weeks ago on a Friday. Soft, spiced, oatmeal raisin -- Zahava thought she would like them.

I had thought Bebe might open the door, as Shani had been resting the last time I had come by. But Shani herself opened the door, smiling as if she had been waiting for me, even though I was unannounced.

We stood and chatted by the door. I did not want to impose on her, again, having not phoned to say I was coming. But Shani was so welcoming that I just allowed myself to enjoy her company.

She inhaled deeply of the cup which held the cookies, and smiled, and said that she always liked to smell her food. She said Elie liked to smell his food too. I told her I had been reading a book about taste recently, and we chatted about the senses of smell and taste.

As we spoke, I marveled at this little lady. I knew she was sick. But a lady she was, so fine, so sweet and so pleasant, even as she spoke about the problems she was having with her vision. I did not want to keep her, to make her stand, but the smiles she gave me were so warm, so full of light and friendliness, that I just basked in it.

I loved that conversation with her. The sun was warm outside, the air was beautiful, and the greenery outside was swaying softly, but the person I was with was more radiant than it all. I smiled for hours afterwards. She was a beautiful person. I felt she loved me. I have come to see that everyone who knew her felt that way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would appreciate it if you would include your name rather than posting anonymously. Thank you!