Click here to read "Some Thoughts on Happiness" - Shani's letter to her children, which was read at her levaya.

Click here for information on how to give tzedakah in Shani's memory.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

From Nancy

July 2013

Dear Shani,

Our friendship was a very close and comfortable one. I think the reason was because we felt like family.

I always tried to stay in touch with you but staying in touch was at times difficult. There were those days or even weeks when I would leave messages with no return phone calls. I knew there were things going on and you did not feel well. However, as soon as you felt better, your call would come and of course we would catch up with each other. No problem.

I would say how are things? You would answer hectic. I knew the word hectic was an understatement.

In your case it could mean a life saving procedure, an operation or even a transplant. Shani - speaking to you, I had no clue about the seriousness of what you may have gone through. You would say to me or I would say let’s meet for lunch and off we would go. You would ask - Nancy where do you want to go? What time is good for you? It was never about you - Shani. You were always thinking about what’s good for me.

We would meet. You always looked beautiful. Your hat matched your scarf that matched your sweater that matched your skirt that matched your shoes, and of course that matched your bag. You even had a 14K gold medical alert bracelet! Only you! More importantly, you were as beautiful on the inside as you were on the outside.

The time we spent together was so special for me and I hope it also gave you a little respite from the medical issues you faced every day. We spoke about the kids, the grandkids you loved so much, shopping, recipes and if a Yom Tov was on the horizon, we spoke about who was coming and who was going. All the usual stuff. However, with you Shani, the usual stuff became very special stuff.

You would often say to me -Nancy- I can’t worry about tomorrow because if I do than I cannot appreciate today and today is going very well for me. What more can I ask for. You faced whatever came your way with strength, courage, dignity and tremendous Faith in Hashem. You were gentle and kind but strong when you had to be. You faced each problem, overcame it and was ready for the next challenge. You always said with Mendy in your corner, fighting for you, caring for you and loving you everything would be okay.

Shani - my dear close and comfortable friend-you have taught me so many life lessons. Lessons that will be with me forever . It has been a true privilege to have known you.

So Shani-my close and comfortable friend – I will miss you tremendously .

Nancy Irom


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would appreciate it if you would include your name rather than posting anonymously. Thank you!