Click here to read "Some Thoughts on Happiness" - Shani's letter to her children, which was read at her levaya.

Click here for information on how to give tzedakah in Shani's memory.

Monday, August 12, 2013

From Joanie Weissman

Shani and I went to Central Brooklyn together we were part of a group of Chavie, Chanie, Shani, Essy, Etty, Gittie, Betty and Joan.  It's already clear how well I fit it just by virtue of the fact that my name didn't end in an ee sound. But Shani ALWAYS made me feel comfortable throughout the four years of high school. She was sweet warm and genuine, and she never had a bad thing to say about anyone.

Some years went by and I found myself moving into Willowbrook, Staten Island.My husband's brother lived here and it seemed like the perfect place to raise a family.

We had moved in on June 3rd and a few later I received an invitation to the Young Israel women's League luncheon at someone's house with a pool. It sounded lovely but I was too shy to just go by myself, so I didn't.
But ten minutes to lunch my doorbell rang and there was Shani. "Come on," she said, "We're going to the luncheon." "But, but, but," I sputtered on. "No buts," she said, and literally took my hand, helped me dress my baby, then we got into her car where she dropped my son off at a woman's house who was baby sitting for this event.

Shani took me to the luncheon where I met lots of new people and actually made a few new friends. Shani didn't just talk about doing the right thing she DID it.

Over the next few years we shared some odd medical experiences. It was good to have someone to laugh about them with. Shani exemplified courage and in such a quiet way.

She will be missed dearly.

- Joanie Weissman               

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would appreciate it if you would include your name rather than posting anonymously. Thank you!